Monday, March 23, 2020

Welcome Back Announcement

Welcome Back (Almost)! I know the class won't be the same as it was, but I do intend to keep reading along with you guys, and giving you questions, a few videos (see below), and one more paper assignment late in the semester. However, here are the changes I propose for the class going forward:

1. I'll try to stick to the TR format, though with a little latitude. I'll post questions for the next class on Tuesday/Thursday, but I won't count you off if you don't e-mail me the questions by next class. You can do that, or you can turn in both sets of questions together (in case you want/need more time). The only thing I won't allow is turning in three sets of questions together, since that would mean you're really far behind. I'll post the first questions for King Lear this Thursday, but you don't have to e-mail them back to me until the following Tuesday, OR on Thursday along with Thursday's questions (which will be posted next Tuesday, as usual). 

2. Once a week, I'll also post a short lecture (10-15 minutes, approx) along with a Powerpoint to highlight aspects of the reading. These are versions of what I would have otherwise done in class, just minus the great discussion.  I think it would be difficult to get everyone in class together to do a live chat, but at least this way, you can still hear me ramble about each work and say the word "interesting" a dozen times.

3. Each lecture will have its own post, and on the post, I'll ask you a short question based on the lecture. Respond to this question as a "comment" on the blog post (you shouldn't need to create an account to do this). Just click on "comments" on the bottom of the post and write your own. This will replace your Participation grade since you obviously won't be able to come to class and talk in any other way. 

4. I've almost finished grading all the Shakespeare #2 papers, and I e-mailed them back to everyone except for 3 or 4 of you. I should be finished by tomorrow (Tuesday). Check your ECU e-mail and make sure you have it. If not, let me know and I'll resend it. You can revise these for a higher grade any time this semester as usual. 

PLEASE write me with any questions or concerns, and I'll be happy to help. The recorded lectures will be in Zoom, so if you want to chat, I can also open up a Zoom chat at any time, in lieu of coming to my office. I'll post the lecture on King Lear, Acts One-Two in a day or two, so be sure to watch it and respond with your comment. 

Hope everyone is doing okay and I look forward to reading your work again! I miss our class and hope that we can all have a face-to-face class together again soon, if only in the Fall semester.

--Joshua Grasso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project: due no later than December 6th!

English 3213: Shakespeare Final Project: Ten-Minute Shakespeare For your ‘final exam’ so to speak, I want you to take a cue from The Red...