Monday, May 4, 2020

Final Post: Drawing the Curtain...

Sadly, our course has reached its conclusion, even though we can't formally meet to bid it adieu. I normally like to give out a few free books at the end of the semester, but that simply isn't possible with our current COVID reality. So let me just say, as I have in my earlier e-mail, how much I appreciate your hard work and dedication this semester, and for giving me the opportunity to share my love of Shakespeare with you. Of all the writers I teach, Shakespeare is the one I return to the most, and I consistently get the most out of. That's because you never get to the bottom of his work. I simply can't believe that someone over 500 years ago wrote plays that feel so modern (despite the language and some contextual details) and can move me to laugh, cry, or simply feel awe so easily. So thanks for coming along for the ride and showing me new things to see, experience, and talk about.

Before you go, check out these brief clips from BBC's famous comedy, Upstart Crow, which is a humorous look into the 'real' Shakespeare and the issues he wrote about. It's not biographical by any means, but it does shed some humorous light on why we continue to find Shakespeare a compelling playwright. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project: due no later than December 6th!

English 3213: Shakespeare Final Project: Ten-Minute Shakespeare For your ‘final exam’ so to speak, I want you to take a cue from The Red...